Planning & Zoning

Carlton County Zoning and Environmental Services is the zoning authority for all areas of Carlton County except the following cities and townships: City of Barnum, City of Carlton, City of Cloquet, City of Cromwell, City of Kettle River, City of Moose Lake, City of Scanlon, City of Wrenshall, City of Wright and Thomson Township.  Carlton County also has zoning authority in shore land areas (property within 1,000 feet of a classified lake or 300 feet of a classified river or stream) in the City of Cromwell and Thomson Township. Zoning permits are required for all structures, regardless of size.

CHECKS PAYABLE TO CARLTON COUNTY TREASURER for applications via mail or CASH, CHECK OR CREDIT CARD in office (2.4% surcharge on all credit cards, with a minimum fee of $2.00 and $3.95 flat fee on Visa debit cards).